Monday, October 19, 2009

The Heights: Brunch



While I am probably thought by my friends to be mostly a fan of the exotic and spicy when it comes to food, I have a deep seated and all-consuming love of Sunday Brunch. Nothing makes the foolish behavior from the night before or the later lousiness of my favorite football team palatable like a good coffee with some runny eggs over easy and crispy bacon.

Having just moved from Dupont to Columbia Heights I needed to find a new go-to brunch location. Whats more, the crappiness of my football team necessitated that this new brunch spot be extra delicious to get me through those painful losses, and fortunately The Heights provided just the place.

The Heights is a high ceilinged bar/restaurant with a good beer and wine selection and friendly and knowledgeable servers. The feel is of a local pub with a lot of wood and brick, and a simple open kitchen in the back. This place also has more new age tendencies including providing filtered water for the table and other green policies like using renewable energy to power their bustling kitchen. But enough about the semantics...lets get down to the food.

I have had brunch at this place twice now, and both times it has been spectacular. The standard fare of bacon and eggs is well prepared and tasty. The home fries are not the best I've ever had but they are good enough to make a nice side dish to whatever egg concoction you prefer. Pictured above is the Eggs Benedict I had this weekend. It is your typical and delicious Eggs Benedict, with one slight adjustment, in that they use a croissant instead of an English muffin for the base of the meal.

Other than the garnish of lettuce and an orange slice or two (which I find wholly unnecessary) this was a perfect meal. Ask for a side of salmon to try their tasty and fresh smoked salmon, which is great just on its own. Their coffee and juice was excellent as well. The only real drawback to this place is the fact that it is the only good brunch spot in the area and thus wait times of up to 45 minutes should be expected. Prices are not cheap certainly but are not outrageous either, and good service can be expected at all times.

I will probably do a further review on The Heights as a lunch and dinner place at some point in the future. I can't say for sure how it matches up for other meals but for that Sunday morning egg and bacon craving, it is top notch.

3115 14th St. NW, Washington DC, 20010
Phone: 202-797-7227
3115 14th St. NW, Washington DC, 20010
Phone: 202-797-7227

No comments:

Post a Comment