Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Uncle Bub's BBQ: Jack Kerouac Edition

I found myself on the road the week to handle some business in Illinois. While Illinois is not Kansas City, North Carolina, or Texas, it has a good BBQ culture. Famous Dave's (which some of my readers might be familiar with) was originated in just north of Chicago in Wisconsin. It has seen wild popularity and there is always a place to pick up some brisket or pork ribs while you're venturing around the mid-West.

I do not live and die by the fire pit, but I know good bbq when I eat it and I've become a bit punctilious when it comes to what I want in corn bread--nothing ruins a bbq joint faster for me than poor quality corn bread.

Uncle Bub's is located in Westmont, Il and is very inviting to Bub's virgins and veterans, alike. Before I stepped inside I perused the guidelines for Bub's virgins outside their front door and was prepared to enjoy meal.

Once in, I settled on the brisket sandwich (my dining cohort advised me that I'd need to be rolled out if I opted for the meal). They have all manner of sides to choose from, but I went with the classic, pork and beans and corn bread. Once I placed my order I was handed a large chicken with a number to bring to my table and await my food.

Before I could make it to a seat, I noticed what I consider to be a near Holy Grail of hot sauces. There was everything from, made for your grandma, to blow your ass out. I opted for the latter. It was made with habaneros and I initially proceeded with caution, but ended up giving my food a good coating to get a decent spice out of the sauce.

A few minutes after I grabbed some sauce and a water and found a seat the brisket was brought out for my enjoyment. The look of it was good. It was falling apart on the bread, the corn bread has a nice shape to it and the beans looked like they should be delicious.


The details were a little bit less enticing than the look. The corn bread was dry—a huge minus. The pork and beans was lacking a little bit on the pork. They were sweet and tasty, but (and this is a personal preference thing) I like my beans to have hunks of pig in them. They weren’t bad, though. The highlight of the meal was definitely the brisket. It was well cut, cooked extremely well, and had a good flavor to it. If memory serves, the whole meal cost around 7 dollars, so it wasn’t a bad deal for as full as I became. If I find myself in Westmont, Il and in need of BBQ, Uncle Bub’s will see me again. I’ll just steer clear of the corn bread, and try to find an even hotter hot sauce.

www.unclebubs.com

132 S Cass Ave
Westmont, IL 60559
(630) 493-9000

No comments:

Post a Comment